It’s the end of January. It’s dark, rainy, and the cold and flu season is upon us in full force. Let's face it, getting sick is the worst. But don't worry, we've got you covered with some tips and tricks to boost your immune system and keep you healthy, whether you're working in an office or at home from your couch.
- Eat a well-balanced diet: You know that saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"? Well, it's true! Eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins is essential for maintaining a healthy immune system.
- Exercise regularly: Regular exercise has been shown to improve the function of the immune system. A standing desk or under-desk bike can help you keep active during your day, or take a break during your workday to go for a walk or bike ride around beautiful Victoria and enjoy the scenery.
- Get enough sleep: Sleep is essential for maintaining a healthy immune system. If you're working remotely, try to stick to a regular sleep schedule to ensure that your body gets the rest it needs. Plus, you'll have some pretty impressive dreams.
- Manage stress: Chronic stress has been linked to a weakened immune system, so it's important to find ways to manage stress in your life, whether you're working in an office or remotely. Meditation, yoga, and deep breathing are all effective ways to reduce stress. Or, you could just scream into a pillow, it's up to you.
- Limit alcohol consumption: Drinking alcohol in excess can weaken the immune system, so it's best to limit your alcohol intake.
- Take Vitamin C and Vitamin D supplement: Vitamin C and Vitamin D are essential for maintaining a healthy immune system, and taking them in supplement form can help to boost your immune system during cold and flu season. It gets dark here in the winter!
- Wash your hands frequently: Washing your hands frequently is one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of germs and viruses. Make sure to wash your hands regularly throughout the day, especially before you eat or touch your face. Trust us, nobody wants to shake a germ-infested hand.
- Follow safety guidelines: Follow the guidelines and recommendations of the health authorities in BC to ensure that you are doing your part to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
By following these strategies, you can help to boost your immune system and stay healthy in the workplace and remotely. Remember to also consult your doctor if you have any concerns. And don't forget to have fun and laugh a little!